FAQs about the Scholarship
- Dependent children and spouses of Navy personnel from the Aviation community; Officer and Enlisted, active duty, retired, honorably discharged or deceased.
- Applicants may be High School Seniors or already enrolled in college.
- Service member sponsor must have served in Naval Aviation Commands for a total of 6-8 years*.
- Trade/Technical School and College Scholarships
- First undergraduate degree only - NOT for Master's Degrees
- Most awards are for one year, but the applicant can apply multiple years.
- Scholarships currently average $3000 and cover tuition and tuition related fees only - NOT room and board.
- Annually award 50 scholarships made up of one time scholarships and several renewable scholarships
- WOASF also administers other aviation scholarships, so one application may enable you to apply for several scholarships. Administered scholarships may be applied to tuition, fees, room and/or board as the sponsoring organization designates.
- Pre-qualification application is available on our website beginning October 1st.
- The Pre-qualification application and supporting documentation must be submitted by February 1st.
- Full application and all supporting material must be submitted by March 1st
- Anywhere! Dependents from around the world are eligible to apply
- Visit the application tab for more information and deadlines
- Be prepared- you will be asked for official transcripts, letters of recommendations and essays
Are Marine and Coast Guard aviators eligible?
- No, only dependents of Navy personnel may apply
Can the service member apply?
- No, this is only for dependents
Do I receive the scholarship award?
- Scholarship checks are mailed directly to the school, college or university
How often can I win?
- Dependent children can win an award 4 times (need not be consecutive years)
- Dependent spouses have no limitation on the number of awards they can win
What do I need from my sponsor to apply?
- You will need documentation stating that your sponsor served in the US Navy in Aviation Commands for a minimum of 6-8 years*. You may use a ODC, DD-214, Electronic Training Jacket or Fit-reps. Please see our application tab for more detailed information.
What criteria do you use to select winners?
- We have 5 equally weighted categories: scholastic achievement, extra-curricular activities, work/internships/community service, recommendations and essay. Financial need may be considered if the FAFSA is submitted. We are looking for well rounded students.
Can I receive a scholarship if I already get financial aid?
- If you receive a full scholarship or service academy appointment, you may not receive the scholarship.
- However if you don’t have your full tuition and/or tuition related fees fully covered, you may still be eligible to receive the scholarship (or a portion there of).