Disability Benefits and College Students

Do you receive Disability as part of your separation from the Service?  You might be surprised to know that your disability check is based on the number of dependents you have and when your child(ren) turns 18 and still attends school, you must file VA form 21-674 in order for them to count in the calculation of your disability benefits.

Here is a website source that can explain it https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/add-dependents.asp and here is the link to the form https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-674-ARE.pdf

This is something WOASF just learned about and thought we would pass along to our community.  If you have further questions, please reach out to the VA directly or to your child’s Veteran’s Affairs office at his/her college or university.

Loading Conversation

Other Tuesday Tips

Oct 5, 2017, 10:21 AM
The early bird catches the worm, but what worm are you focusing on, early action or early decision? Do you know the difference?
Oct 31, 2017, 2:57 PM
Early Action deadlines are around the corner - are you ready?
Nov 27, 2017, 4:36 PM
December 1st is often the deadline for institutional scholarships - don't miss out!
Dec 5, 2017, 4:36 PM
How do you know that college is really interested in you?
Jul 3, 2018, 12:57 PM
I know what you're thinking - School just let out a few weeks ago, can't I just enjoy some time off? Unfortunately, the answer…
Jul 10, 2018, 9:52 AM
It’s that time in the summer vacation that a little reality drops in – College orientation. While some schools started back in…
Jul 17, 2018, 2:06 PM
You've been to orientation and explored your dorm room, now it's time to think about how you're going to furnish it. More…
Jul 31, 2018, 9:41 AM
Why are Americans so in love with the idea of a four-year college education? It’s glamorized on TV, movies and honestly you…
Aug 14, 2018, 3:24 PM
You may have moved from coast to coast, in and out of the continental United States, but college moving day is a beast all its…
Aug 16, 2018, 11:16 AM
Do you receive Disability as part of your separation from the Service? Your benefits may change when your child turns 18!
Wings Over America YouTube link
donate now